Do you know how to winterize a dirtbike quickly? Winterize the bike is like giving it a break during the winter. After all, you won’t be able to go anywhere with your bike with the pile of snow, wet road, or the black ice here and there – it would be too dangerous. That’s why giving it a break is considered ideal for both you and the bike.
Of course, keeping it during the winter should be done and managed properly – that is, if you want your bike to be ready for the next spring and it doesn’t suffer from any damage. Winterize the bike doesn’t have to be complicated or long – it can take around 10 minutes or less. Of course, there is also the full prepared with the complete steps that may take an hour for completion. But if you know the two methods – whether it is for your bike or for the kids’ – knowing the proper methods will definitely help.
The Faster Method
So, how to winterize a dirtbike quickly with the less-than-10-minutes step? Basically, you only need to do these 2 things:
- You want to fill in the fuel stabilizer inside the gas tank. Then, run it for around 2 minutes so the fuel stabilizer can run on the overall engine
- You want to remove the battery. It would be even better if you can put it on the so-called smart charger during the winter. Keeping it in your garage is okay but make sure that you don’t expose it to the cold.
You don’t want to skip the step where you need to remove the battery – which is a common mistakes made by almost all beginners. You see, leaving your battery without using it will damage it, especially if you are going to leave it long during the winter. If this happens, you will end up having to buy a new battery, which means another extra spending on the next spring. Whether you choose the third party type, the brand new one, or the official type, you will have to spend extra. It would be a good idea if you can have a smart charger. This device is super handy because it allows you to save yourself from spending extra every single time.
The Longer (and Complete) Version
You have learned about how to winterize a dirtbike quickly, and now is the longer version. This one hour step will ensure your bike to be in a perfect and almost flawless condition. But then again, you need to prepare the extra time. So, how do you manage this full step?
- You want to fill in the fuel stabilizer inside the tank. No need to have much – an appropriate and decent should do. It’s best if you can follow the directions.
- Just like the shorter version, turn your bike on and let it run for 2 minutes. It will allow the gas to run through the engine.
- By using the selector silver switch, turn the gas tank off. The switch is generally found on the left side of the bike.
- You need to change the oil and also the filter. Used oil has contaminants and they aren’t good when sitting in the bike during the winter. Changing the oil and the filter is like giving the bike a fresher start.
- Wash and clean off the bike completely. Removing the dirt that is stuck to the plastic is a good idea.
- Don’t forget to lube the chain either to prevent rust
- Inspect the tire pressure and check them entirely
- Don’t forget to remove the battery. Don’t forget to connect it to the trickle charger
- Place your bike on the stand. And don’t forget to cover it to prevent dust.
There you have it, the short and long version of winterize the dirtbike. Now that you know how to winterize a dirtbike quickly, which one do you prefer?